The goals of the NAYDO Young Professionals Program are:
- To encourage participation at conference by staff early in their career,
- Enhance the NAYDO conference experience
- Advance alternative methods of philanthropic education beyond annual conference
- Create educational networking.
This program geared toward young YMCA professionals was pilot tested at the 2010 Charlotte NAYDO Conference with 10 participants and launched with 30 participants in 2011, another 30 participants in 2012 and 23 new alumni were just added from 2013. (View the alumni list)
The feedback received from participants has been tremendous. As one Young Professional stated: When my Y invests in me, I feel more invested in my Y. For supervisors, this is a unique opportunity to invest in a young staff member to help them understand and contribute to a culture of philanthropy at your YMCA.
The program targets NAYDO Members in the YMCA movement between the ages of 21 and 31. The program activities are designed to create an exceptional experience at the NAYDO Conference and further the culture of philanthropy in your YMCA after the conference.
The benefits of participation in the NAYDO Young Professionals Program are not limited to the staff member who participates but the YMCA that supports the young professional as well.
Young Professionals – As a result of your participation you will:
- Receive priority consideration if you apply for conference financial assistance.
- Determine personal goals and outcomes for the conference with your supervisor
- Receive a recommended customized schedule of workshops to attend based on your goals
- Participate in a Wednesday night reception specifically for young professionals from 6:00 – 8:00 pm on the opening night of the conference.
- Discover numerous opportunities to network not only with other young professionals but the best and brightest in the field of YMCA philanthropy
- Have the opportunity to volunteer for registration – a great place to meet people!!
- Be recognized at the conference
- Be invited to communicate with others in the program through calls/e-mail
- Have the opportunity for a call-in coach year-round
- Be eligible for webinars on topics determined by you and other young professionals
Supervisors – As a result of supporting a Young Professional’s participation you will:
- Cultivate more committed, engaged staff with the potential to positively impact staff retention rates
- Provide training opportunities at no additional cost to your association through webinars, mentoring opportunities and peer networking
- Build capacity of staff to understand, articulate and deliver on philanthropic goals of your YMCA
- Have staff with enhanced professional skills including goal-setting, organization, public speaking, fundraising and more
- Support staff development assisted by external specialists
- Increase visibility of your YMCA through recognition at NAYDO conference
STEPS to APPLY for the Young Professionals Program:
Step 1: Register for the conference – there is NO EXTRA FEE to participate in the Young
Professionals Program. If you are applying for financial assistance, you must register
using the print version as no payment is required at registration
Step 2: (Optional step) If financial assistance is needed, fill out the financial assistance
application found on this web site.
Step 3: With your supervisor complete and sign the Young Professional Program Application.
Step 4: Make sure you have completed Steps 1-3 by the December 4, 2013 Deadline.
You will be notified by email no later than early January 2014 whether or not you have been selected for the Class of 2014.
Once accepted in the Young Professionals Program, plan on attending these sessions at the 2014 Conference:
Wednesday, April 9 6:30 – 8:30 pm Dinner and Networking
Thursday, April 10 8:00 – 8:45 am Hot Topics (Round A Topics available for Young Professionals Class of 2014 only)
Friday, April 11 3:45 – 5:00 pm Philanthropy Forum during Round 7 of workshops
For Questions or More Information, contact:
Jan Brogdon, Young Professionals Chair,
Andrew Minear, Young Professionals Co-Chair,
Mary Zoller, NAYDO Conference/Member Services Coordinator,
504-464-7845, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Blair Campbell, Young Professionals Alumni Liaison